Vancouver, B.C. – Pacific Rim Cobalt Corp. (the “Company” or “Pacific Rim Cobalt”) (CSE: BOLT) (OTCQB: PCRCF) (FRANKFURT: NXFE) is pleased to announce positive results from mineral process recovery testing on material from its Cyclops nickel-cobalt project as reported by its independent extractive technology and mineral process development partner (the “Partner”).
The first phase of the detailed bench-scale Program has been completed in order to evaluate separation technology on samples of materials from various geological profiles from the company’s Cyclops nickel-cobalt project.
Samples were leached using the Partner’s proprietary mixed chloride technology, i.e., the mixture of hydrochloric acid (HCl) and magnesium chloride (MgCl2). Results of the leach tests showed that the mixed chloride leach technology was effective in the recovery of value elements, namely nickel, and cobalt from the three laterite samples tested.
Leach extraction results were as follows:
- Sample 1: Recoveries of nickel and cobalt were 99.2% and 99.3% respectively
- Sample 2: Recoveries of nickel and cobalt were 99.8% and 97% respectively
- Sample 3: Recoveries of nickel and cobalt were 99.8% and >99% respectively
The second phase of this program is now in progress with the preparation of bulk solutions for subsequent solvent extraction tests for the recovery of nickel, cobalt and iron under the conditions established from the phase 1 leach program.
The ultimate aim of the detailed bench-scale work is the:
- Separation of nickel, cobalt and iron by solvent extraction along with a nickel and cobalt product recovery to produce battery-grade metal salts at bench scale
- Provision of data for the commissioning and operation of a pilot plant
The latest results are part of an integrated program being implemented by the Company to develop a critical path for processing nickel and cobalt laterites. The Development Program consists of the following components:
- Evaluation of process technology
- Process feasibility studies
- Design, construction and operation of pilot plant
- Design, construction and operation of demonstration-scale plant
Program components include the following:
Scoping test program; location Canada – complete
- Confirmed with positive results the amenability of mixed chloride leach technology on 2 samples of Indonesian laterite
Bulk sampling – complete
- Excavation and sampling of test pits from the Company’s Cyclops project resulted in a bulk sample of 285 kg for detail bench-scale work and was air-freighted to Canada
Detailed bench-scale test work – phase 1 complete
- Define optimal leach conditions
- Establish separation of nickel, cobalt and iron via solvent extraction process
- Obtain pregnant solutions for the recovery of nickel, cobalt and iron
- Develop process design criteria for pilot plant
- Location Canada
- Produce high purity strip solutions suitable for production of nickel and cobalt MHP and nickel and cobalt sulphates
- Establish design criteria for a demonstration plant
- Produce nickel and cobalt products meeting market specifications
- Ensure tailings and effluents meet environmental guidelines
- Location Indonesia
- Evaluation of technical and economic aspects of a commercial-scale plant
- Demonstrate ability to produce a product within market specifications
- Provide product for market evaluation
- Establish security of long-term product supply through optimum plant availability
- Establish design criteria for a commercial-scale plant
National Instrument 43-101 Disclosure
The technical content of this news release has been reviewed and approved by Mr. Garry Clark, PGeo, independent director of Pacific Rim Cobalt and a Qualified Person as defined by National Instrument 43-101.
About Pacific Rim Cobalt
Pacific Rim Cobalt is a Canadian‐based exploration company focused on the acquisition and development of production-grade nickel and cobalt deposits, key raw material inputs for the growing lithium‐ion battery industry. Visit https://pacificrimcobalt.com/ to find out more.
Pacific Rim Cobalt Corp.
Ranjeet Sundher – President and CEO
Steve Vanry – CFO & Director
Sean Bromley – Director & Investor Contact
This news release may contain statements which constitute “forward-looking information” that are subject to risks and uncertainties. All statements herein, other than statements of historical fact, are to be considered forward-looking, including statements regarding the plans, intentions, beliefs and current expectations of the Company, its directors, or its officers with respect to the future business activities of the Company and with respect to the results of exploration and prospective plans in regards to the Cyclops project. The words “may”, “would”, “could”, “will”, “intend”, “plan”, “anticipate”, “believe”, “estimate”, “expect” and similar expressions, as they relate to the Company, or its management, are intended to identify such forward-looking statements. Although the Company believes the expectations expressed in such forward-looking information are based on reasonable assumptions, such information is not a guarantee of future performance and actual results or developments may differ materially from those contained in forward-looking information. Information provided in this document is necessarily summarized and may not contain all available material information. Although Pacific Rim Cobalt has attempted to identify important factors that could cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those contained in the forward-looking statements, there can be other factors that cause results, performance or achievements not to be as anticipated, estimated or intended. Factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in forward-looking information include, but are not limited to, fluctuations in market prices, success of the operations of the Company, continued availability of capital and financing and general economic, market or business conditions. There can be no assurances that such information will prove accurate and, therefore, readers should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statements in this news release are made as of the date of this news release, and the Company does not assume any obligation to update any forward-looking information except as required under the applicable securities laws.
Neither the Canadian Securities Exchange nor its Regulation Services Provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the Canadian Securities Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.